Wednesday, December 4, 2013

WIP: the one with finished mermaids!


Finished!

The Seaweed Is Always Greener In Somebody Else's Lake (Mendocino Mermaids)

So I gave it a name. Which is ridiculously long. And always makes me want to break into song. And is possibly ironic since there is no actual green in this quilt, so, yes, of course the seaweed is going to be greener in anyone else's lake!

The Seaweed Is Always Greener (Mendocino Mermaids)

However...it's DONE!

(duh!)

The Seaweed Is Always Greener (Mendocino Mermaids)

I did a lot of careful calculations of brown kelp yardage and decided I had enough to make a thin border around the blocks, so they 'float' properly. I think it makes it look just a wee smidge better with more border. Some similar calculations allowed me to safely say that I had enough of the dark brown seahorses to bind it.

Untitled

With a double stripe of gold-seahorses in the binding to give it a nice accent!

It's pretty large - about 85" x 85" at present. I don't think I want any more borders, although it's an option since I have some yardage of various prints left over.

The Seaweed Is Always Greener (Mendocino Mermaids)

Now to do the backing and quilt it and bind it. Easy peasy!

WIPs

Precuts Project: Sunkissed

Still going on this! I'm a bit busy with other projects right now, and I'm not feeling the fabric, so it's not moving very fast. I'll see if I can't get it done this week.


Otherwise...

The beautiful quilt 'The Rainbow Connection' got raffled off on Saturday 23rd Nov at Kim Bradley Creations, and was won by a work colleague of the Sydney Modern Quilt Guild secretary - so it'll be staying in Sydney!

For those of you with quilt envy, but who despair of ever making the entire quilt...let's just say that you should stay tuned to the SMQG news around here in the coming months!

The grand opening of Kim Bradley Creations' new shop out in Castle Hill was an amazing day! So many people! Such lovely fabric!

I womanfully resisted the mirrorball dots!

mirrorball dots!

But gave in to the siren song of Tula Pink's Acacia.

acacia

Ah well...

--

What have you been up to this week? Have you linked up to Freshly Pieced's linky party?

6 comments:

  1. Great colours...especially the background fabric which ties it all together so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. all those careful calculations paid off! it looks fabulous. I like the kelp it's floating in. that seahorse binding is going to be killer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how this turned out! Stunning! I think that binding is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome! Very nice borders and binding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing Mendocino quilt! Every time I see a quilt from this fabric line I wish I was into quilting when it was available. Sigh. Now it's too outrageous to buy. :) I am interested in seeing your Sunkissed project, I have a WIP featuring Sunkissed myself (although I am thinking I will need to add some Noteworthy too, to make it as large as I hope).

    If I am not currently following you, you can bet I will be now! LOL

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer every comment made, but if I forget to respond to you, I sincerely apologise! Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!