Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Parental Patchwork Presents

This post is very much overdue. I simply haven't had the picture to put it all together.

Having completed my mum's quilt, the "ImpStar" (started about 15 months ago), I figured I should hurry up and finish the stepdad's pillowslips (which my mum asked me to make at least a couple of years ago).

The fabric is Imperial Collection 6, which I accidentally ordered while trying to get hold of more Imperial Collection 7 for Mum's ImpStar quilt. Oops!

Pillow slips for stepdad.

The first panel - Fans and Flowers - came with the FQ bundle, but the second panel is entirely unrelated and something I found in the Blue Mountains, at the delightfully-named Picklemouse Corner in Leura, almost a year ago while I was at a writer's retreat.

I spotted it, thought "oh, that could work with the collection" got home and discovered that it pretty much perfectly matched! Don't you love it when a good plan comes together?

Pillow slips for stepdad.

Draped over the big body-pillow to get a feel for how it's going to look!

Golden carp

Ready for basting and quilting!

Peonies and fans

No batting, just the top and two layers of cotton to give it a bit of thickness.

Quilting gloves

First time I used my quilting gloves! Great for moving the quilt around (although I need a bigger machine arm and a decent platform on which to rest the quilt).

The quilting is not very good. I started with a variation on an Angela Walter FMQ pattern "Tiles" only to realise that it didn't really work for triangles.

So I switched to straight-line quilting with a walking foot. Much easier and a bit more in keeping with the style of the blocks.

Finished body pillow!

Finished pillow

Slip cover back

And all together now and laid out on the parental bed!

Parental patchwork

They're very happy with it, and I'm very happy with it. It's all good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to answer every comment made, but if I forget to respond to you, I sincerely apologise! Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!