Wednesday, July 25, 2012

WIP Wednesday: the one with the Grammar Nazi

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

Annoying thing of the week: it's piqued when you're hooking someone's interest, not peaked.

1. to affect with sharp irritation and resentment, especially by some wound to pride: She was greatly piqued when they refused her invitation.
2. to wound (the pride, vanity, etc.).
3. to excite (interest, curiosity, etc.): Her curiosity was piqued by the gossip.
4. to arouse an emotion or provoke to action: to pique someone to answer a challenge.
5. Archaic . to pride (oneself) (usually followed by on or upon )

"I've piqued your interest, I see," as compared to, "Their single peaked at No. 2 but couldn't quite make it to the top."

And, incidentally, peeked means "to take a quick glance", and is different from both piqued and peaked.

I am piqued when the word 'peaked' is used where 'peeked' should be used instead. And vice versa.

Yes, it's being nitpicky, but this is one of the things that annoys me - like the misuse of the apostrophe, and the new tendency of even published authors to say "should of" or "could of" or "would of"...and worse...for editors not to pick this up.

--

What I Did This Week

The truth is that I didn't do much. I sewed the columns of 'Build Me Up Buttercup' together and that was about it.

Build me up buttercup

Looks pretty good (even if the light is pretty crappy) even if my brain keeps saying it's too small! must be bigger! There'll be borders to add a little to it, but I think this one's going to be a lap quilt in the end.

I've been working crazy hours again, and we've been doing stuff on the kitchen, resulting in not much time or space in which to do quilting. But we're still making slow progress on the kitchen - we have cupboards in which to put stuff, and The Big Clean-Up Of Doom is this weekend, so I might get my sewing space back! *hopes*

The Linky Party is on! Go forth! Link! Comment! :)

3 comments:

  1. I am totally with you on the spelling and grammar thing. I follow one blogger that is atrocious and it is so hard to not say anything when there are 5 or 6 spelling or grammar errors in ONE post. UGH!

    I am still loving your quilt. It will be a nice lap quilt. You can admire your beautiful work all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many issues with improper grammar. My husband and I were just talking about some - like when bloggers say wah-lah, because apparently voila is too difficult to spell? He pointed to could of as a pet peeve as well.

    Thanks for linking up, even if it wasn't a very productive week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate. I'm sometimes shocked what English native speakers commit to their language. Then again, I possibly shouldn't as Germans aren't much better (and annoy me just as much, I'm on multilingual grammar watch). :)

    Your quilt is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer every comment made, but if I forget to respond to you, I sincerely apologise! Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!