Thursday, June 7, 2012

Star Wars fabric collection: a small rant

So far as I can see, there's no Princess Leia in the Star Wars collection. At all.

No. Princess. Leia.

I am a fan of Star Wars and I WANT SOME PRINCESS LEIA IN MY STAR WARS FABRIC.

If it wasn't for Leia, would any of Star Wars have happened? No! Would Luke have ever gotten off Tattooine without Leia's "Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi - you're my only hope"? Would Han have decided that there were things worth standing and fighting for instead of walking away from everything if Leia hadn't challenged him, intrigued him, attracted him? Would Jabba have been as satisfyingly dead if not for Leia strangling him in the sail barge? Would Luke have defeated Vader if not for that fury he felt at the thought of Vader and the Emperor corrupting his beloved friend and sister? Would the New Republic have risen as fast and powerfully as it had if not for the young Senator of lost Alderaan at its head?

Lemme hear your HELL NO!

So why why why why why have they cut Leia out of the fabric collection? Because Star Wars and sci fi, imagination and fantasy, heroism and adventure shouldn't include girls, lest the boys get icky girl germs?

I don't even have words for how intrinsically WRONG that is.

6 comments:

  1. I know!!! I have not seen the fabric in person, so maybe she is hiding in there somewhere. Hopefully NOT in the "Jabba's Slave" outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The target market was probably small boys ,( not grown up ladies!) who would not accept a quilt with a girl on it!
    However as you asy they may have missed a potential market of up and comming ( slightly nerdy?) fabric purchasers
    regards
    Liz Price!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, apart from my annoyance as a grown female whose interests happen to include sci-fi fiction, let's just say that it worries me when "targeted at boys" effectively means "erasing any female presence from the narrative".

    ReplyDelete
  4. What bollocks! I didn't like the style of it, but I didn't even think about the lack of Leia. She is the best. Grr.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is Some Leia. Look at this image
    http://store.thequiltasylum.com/stores_app/images/images_648/F30075.jpg

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer every comment made, but if I forget to respond to you, I sincerely apologise! Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!