Tuesday, March 27, 2012

To B(order) or not To B(order)?

Scrap Attack Quilt-Along

I always hate getting to the part where I have to add borders in to a quilt. I can never decide whether it needs a border or not. Or even how much border it should have.

Scrap Attack: 2B or not 2B?

I was going to leave it like that. Nice and simple. Focus on the blocks and the layout and the piecing and not complicate it with borders.

But I have a bunch of HSTs, some of which are roughly hand-sewn and which need using, and which are the right colour and suitably scrappy...

Which then brings up the question of the type of border it should have.

These things are never easy to decide!

Boxes?
Scrap Attack: boxed borders

Blocks?
Scrap Attack: solid block borders

Zig Zags?
Scrap Attack: zigzag borders

Or Flying Geese?
Scrap Attack: Flying Geese borders
Ugh. Choices. I am chronically indecisive....at least, I think I am. Am I? Or maybe I'm not?

Ultimately, I picked the one with the least sewing - the Flying Geese. Because the least effort for the best effect is always a good way to go for me!

Plus, I like the 'blank space' effect that the flying geese blocks produce.

Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner!
Scrap Attack: Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner

Isn't it preeeeetty? So so preeeeeetty!

It was still a lot of sewing, mind! Two episodes of Castle - the one with the handcuffs and the 2nd half of the one with the national security threat - and three episodes of Sherlock - the one introducing Moriarty, the one with Irene Adler (*OMG LOVE*), and the Hounds of Baskerville.

My day is done. (And nearly gone the sun!)

And that's #5 for the year! And it's not even April!

I even have HSTs left over for the Festival of Half Square Triangles being put on by Megan over at Canoe Ridge Creations!!



HOWZAT?

4 comments:

  1. oh your border is just the right touch - very nice! And hst left over?? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I think the blank space that the flying geese create is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very pretty quilt, looks like alot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way this turned out, including the border.
    Your border made me realize that I plan my borders based on what I want to quilt in them

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer every comment made, but if I forget to respond to you, I sincerely apologise! Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!